In the beginning...
Harmony United Methodist began in 1887 with the Rev. Dolly Johnson, father of Mrs. R.I. Sloan serving as the Parish Minister. In its early beginnings, Harmony Methodist was a three room church. Asbury Campbell, grandfather of Carolyn, Peggy and Sam Campbell, and Wiley Gaither, grandfather to N.S. Gaither, Jr., helped in the building of the early church.
One deed written in 1899 indicated a purchase of land for the purpose of divine worship for the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The land located on Highway 21 in the village of Harmony, NC was purchased from J.W. and Mary Albea.
When the first building was torn down, some of the material was used to build the Tharpe house next door. In 1920 a second church was constructed, consisting of a sanctuary, a classroom behind the pulpit, a nd a classroom in the front. The rooms downstairs wer added later, sometime between 1935 and 1940. During this time the Methodist Episcopal Church, the denomination of which the congregation was part of, was a member of the Blue Ridge-Atlantic Conference (Now the Western North Carolina Conference), which included churches from the Blue Ridge Mountains to the Atlantic Ocean.
The bell located next to the stone inscription of our present church, came from the first building and was donated by the Bill Tharpe family. Our current church sign was also given by this family along with N. Sanky, Jr., Glenn, and Kathleen Gaither.
In 1978 lans were made and approved by church conference for a new building. In October in 1980, we worshipped in our new sanctuary, located on 136 Memorial Highway close to Harmony square, a short distance from its orginial site. Harmony Methodist's orginial church building still stands today. It was purchased by Reavis Funeral Home.
On March 23, 1986, the church broke ground on a new fellowship hall and completed the project later that summer. In the same year the church completed other projects which included a playground, a picnic shelter and later a gazebo for weddings and other activities.
Harmony United Methodist Church began as Methodist Episcopal Church, South. In 1939, it became Harmony Methodist Church when the Methodist Episcopal, South joined with Methodist Episcopal, North. In 1968, Harmony Methodist became Harmony United Methodist after the methodist Church joined with Evangelical United Brethren Church.
For many years, Harmony UMC was part of a circuit with three other churches, Clarksbury UMC, Macedonia UMC and Mt Bethel UMC. A few years later, Harmony UMC became part of a two point charge with Clarksbury UMC. In 2003, Harmony UMC became a "stationed" church and purchased its current parsonage which is used to house it's full-time minister and family.
For the last decade, Harmony UMC has engaged in many ministries and enjoy's God's blessings. This community church is committed to the Great Commission with open arms for everyone and great hope for the future.
It is Harmony UMC's mission to "invite people into a living relationship with Jesus Christ." You are invited to come and be apart of the mission that God has given us.